Written by David P. DiFilippo
Anyone who has experienced Pelican Hill Golf Club knows why Tom Fazio's two 18-hole golf courses are Southern California top "must-plays". The Newport Coast facility that debuted in the early 1990s (and was re-perfected a few years ago) is now more beautiful, more playable and more enjoyable than ever. While the courses, the Ocean Course North and Ocean Course South may be the headliners, the facility itself has it all!
- A spectacular setting by the Pacific Ocean with numerous holes that play along cliffs at the water’s edge and inspiring panoramas from nearly every hole.
- Dramatically enhanced playing conditions, turf quality and aesthetics.
- A luxurious and stylish clubhouse with a signature restaurant featuring al fresco dining.
- State-of-the-art practice and instruction
- Perfect weather allowing play virtually year round.
- Adjacent to the famed shopping, dining and beaches of both Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.
- Part of an extraordinary destination resort, The Resort at Pelican Hill.
Pelican Hill is ranked # 1 in the US and #22 in the World by Conde Nast Traveler and features 128 extravagant villas, 204 plush bungalows, a luxurious spa, world-class restaurants and a one-of-a kind 'Coliseum Pool.' Enjoy the unequaled resort, but come foremost for the golf.
Fazio, who has more courses in the "Top 100" than any other golf course architect, fine-tuned the courses with such adjustments as re-turfed fairways and tees with a hybrid bermuda to achieve a consistent look, texture and playing surface year-round; added 25 new bunkers; recaptured stunning vistas at every turn by adopting lower-growing and native plants; sand-capping high-traffic areas to create better turf quality; expanding collars to create more choices on how to play shots; and added length to both courses.
At Pelican Hill, golfers can choose from two dynamic courses with distinctly different layouts: the more open North Course plays primarily into the hills while the South Course hugs the Pacific and is more tree-lined. Both deliver a memorable and breathtaking golfing experience.
The luxurious clubhouse features beautifully appointed men's and women's facilities, an award-winning pro shop, a relaxing lounge with two enormous 9' x 6' HD TVs for watching sports events and the Pelican Grill with its delectable California Cuisine and ocean view terrace for al fresco dining year-round.
For more information on this spectacular venue, visit www.pelicanhill.com